The Mid-East Commission Area Agency on Aging is currently seeking volunteers for the Beaufort County Seniors’ Health Insurance Information Program (SHIIP). With the many decisions people with Medicare have to make, we can never have too many volunteers to assist those beneficiaries who reside in our local communities.
SHIIP volunteers help fellow senior citizens in their community with questions regarding Medicare, Medicare supplements, Medicare claims processing, Medicare Advantage, Medicare prescription drug plans and long-term care insurance. Volunteers should:
- Not be, or have an immediate family member who is an active insurance salesperson.
- Complete a 13 hour on-line training certification course
- Provide one-to-one counseling by appointment at counseling site or at home* of home-bound or by telephone.
- Enter all counseling and outreach efforts into the federal SHIPtalk website.
- Keep all client information (medical and financial) confidential.
- Never recommend a specific insurance company or policy.
- Attend quarterly follow-up meetings
For more information about how you can become a Beaufort County SHIIP Volunteer, contact Brandie Garner at 252.974.1854.