North Carolina Senior Medicare Patrol Program
The Mid-East Commission Area Agency on Aging participates in the North Carolina Senior Medicare Patrol (NCSMP) Program. NCSMP is a preventive educational program whose goal is to reduce Medicare error, fraud and abuse through statewide coordinated efforts of educational and promotional activities and to encourage reporting of discrepancies by Medicare beneficiaries and caregivers to the NCSMP Program. NCSMP’s purpose is to educate Medicare beneficiaries and caregivers about Medicare benefits in order to understand Medicare Statements such as Medicare Summary Notices, Medicare Part D Prescription Drug Plan (PDP) Explanations of Benefits (EOB) and other related health care statements. Through this knowledge, a person can identify, resolve and/or report possible billing errors, fraud, abuse and waste to NCSMP.
- review your Medicare statements
- protect your Medicare number
- do not be influenced by advertising for services, medications or products that sound “too good to be true”
- educate yourself about your Medicare benefits
- rarely are Medicare services “free”
- Medicare does not solicit door-to-door